Cave Martians – Moving to Mars?

Colonies on Mars? It would seem we are one step closer to that. Space.Com seems to think so. I highly doubt it’ll happen in my lifetime, but should we really attempt to take over another planet when we’re not doing so hot with this one?

I don’t know how I like being thought of as a future martian. I love being an Earthling. I don’t know, this whole idea gives me a foreboding feeling. I know it’s too early to really get my feathers ruffled, but there’s got to be some kind of morality being questioned here.

Anyone else have any ideas?

7 responses to “Cave Martians – Moving to Mars?”

1. Lauren says:

Hopefully we’ll both be dead before we go fucking up other planets, but it would pain me to see our grandchildren have to deal with issues like this. You’re absolutely right; if we can’t even take the initiative to help save this planet, what makes everyone think we’ll treat Mars with the utmost respect?

2. I feel pessimistic about it, because it’s going to become a major issue between countries: who gets what land and on what planet and when. I see where a lot of people could be screwed over in the process.

We can guess the basics, even if this doesn’t happen for quite some time now. Mostly white people, mostly Westernized people, mostly upper middle class to upper class people will be the ones doing this stuff. And I wonder where that would leave the rest on Earth. It seems like it could deepen hegemony to an alarming degree.

3. Cristina says:

I’m kinda like you, I don’t know what to think. Believe me I do have my moments where I’d love to be on a different planet, but I don’t think I’d actually do it. It’s too much for me to really think about. 😐

4. Holly says:

Gosh that’s a bizarre thought! I’d have no idea what I’d do/think if that were possible, and to a point I tend to agree with what Lauren said, about whether or not we’d be able to look after another planet if we can’t even look after the one we live on currently!

5. Joshua says:

I’m excited about it! The way that I see it is that it is the only way to keep humanity alive once the Earth is no longer hospitable. Everything dies, nothing lasts for ever – including our planet. So eventually humans will have to find alternative places to live. Mars is probably the closest, most hospitable place we can goto. The moon is great, but has no atmosphere and it’s are too long. Venus is a sweltering hell, but we could potentially build floating city islands on it – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floating_city_(science_fiction)

6. Lauren says:

*claps* Simply beautiful and well-said!

7. Leigh says:

See, this is why I love you.