Music of Liz Clark

A friend of mine came up for the weekend and stayed with me and we swapped life-news, chinese food favorites, and music. She has me hooked on a female singer-songwriter called Liz Clark whose music consists of folky, feminist pop-rock tunes. Her current CD Hand on the Stove is catchy and uplifting.

lc
Hand on the Stove
1. Who’s Your Angel
2. Hurricane *
3. Encore *
4. Something I Can Live Without
5. Hand Off The Stove
6. Soft Side *
7. Be A Man
8. Love And War
9. I Need You
10. Race Street

My favorite song so far is “Hurricane,” which starts out with the question, “What’s the cost of being honest when you have nothing else to lose?” Many of her songs are powerful and thought-provoking like this, and all of them are backed by her powerful vocals and truthful lyrics. Her sound is soulful and her voice much more rock than folk. Her lyrics are clever and clearly poetry as well as song. Her piano and guitar skills are phenomenal, and I thought I’d give you a little taste of some of her music.

If you download one of the songs I posted, let me know so I can keep track. If you like her CD and want more, please check out her store or her tour dates to see when she’s coming to play near you. I highly suggest you try and catch her play live. If you like me posting reviews like this let me know and I’ll post more. Enjoy Liz Clark!

6 responses to “Music of Liz Clark”

1. Anesthesia says:

Hey sweetie! I just looked Liz Clark up on YouTube.. Who’s Your Angel is posted there a couple of times. She has a beautiful voice and is EXACTLY my style. I love her little earrings in the beginning of the video. 🙂 I’ll definitely consider getting her CD. I’m always up for looking into new music. Thanks for the heads up!

2. nikki says:

I’m glad you like her. I’m definitely fond of her style. She’s fantastic.

3. Joshua says:

I think equality is treating one person just as you would treat another. I have nothing against the hate crimes prevention act, but I would caution that it in itself is creating an inequality: now the homosexuals have additional rights which straights do not. So (hypothetically) if a homosexual were to commit a hate crime against a heterosexual, then what? I find politics stupid and redundant. We can’t just keep creating Laws and acts every time there is a problem… Laws don’t solve anything, there will still be hate against the gays if the bill is passed, and the only difference is that the criminals will be avenged. I think the *best* (and probably not the most practical) solution is isolating the two groups. There is no safer alternative than physical distance because Laws are just laws – people can still do things without getting caught, especially in these rural out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere towns. So if you’re looking to /solve/ the problem, then this bill is the wrong place to look. If you’re looking for justice (revenge), then this bill is the trick.

4. nikki says:

I’m somewhat confused as to what you’re trying to say. This isn’t a right that heterosexuals don’t have. The law is already in place that you cannot discriminate because of gender and race, but you can discriminate against gay people? I don’t think that’s fair. There are hate crime laws in place to protect cultures, and I feel that sexuality is in the same boat to a degree; but I’m one of those people who believe that this is something one is born with. It’s not chosen.

(If a homosexual commits a hate crime against a heterosexual, the homosexual is persecuted just as a heterosexual should be – but a lot of the time it’s because they are homosexual, not because of the act itself.)

In any cases, isolating the two groups isn’t going to get us anywhere either. Co-existence is in the answer, though how to get to the answer is the problem. I feel this is a right step because it helps the co-existence happen. Ideally, it would take away the fear of being harressed because of loving who you love (which is something heterosexuals have the right to already). It’s not raising gays above straights, it’s setting us as equal.

And justice and revenge are not the same. At least not in my book.

You have an interesting outlook though, and I do agree with you that politics are stupid and redundant. Sometimes they start out with good intentions though. I just hope this goes in the right direction.

5. Joshua says:

Yes equality and co-existence would be the ultimate goal, but the way I see it is that a group is strongest when united, when together. The immigrants who came to America first moved into the cities where people from their countries already lived. Had they not grouped together, their life would have been harder, they would have experienced more hate, more discrimination, and the ‘china-towns’ and ‘little Italy’ sections of cities would never have existed. Their cultural influence would have never become so great! we wouldn’t have greasey chinese food, or cheesey pizza!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhh! imagine the horror!! 😛

6. nikki says:

Oh I definitely agree with that! That’s why I think there needs to be more emphasis at prides to have stronger public-awareness opportunities, and not just have what always seems to be one big party.

Mmm, chinese food.