New Snailbird Design!

And we’re live! The brand-spanking new, took-way-too-long-to-code, Snailbird design is finally up and running!

I don’t think I have ever spent so long in one sitting (or series of sittings as it where) working on one design before. I have been staring at this thing for days on end. I’m not even kidding, all I ate today was a couple of shortbread cookies because I didn’t want to stop until I finally had this kicked in the butt. I think I successfully pummeled it into submission (and fixed up some of my pages while I was at it).

Do I need a reason for the change? Well one, I wanted this site to show off my creative design talents as much as possible. I want the design to show what I’m capable of, both in coding and in creating original and unique designs. And two, I wanted a design to reflect my own personality, and while the last one retained some of my identity, I thought it was boring. I am a colorful person, I love to draw, and I love nature and all things related. This is me.

Plus, I just think it’s cute. Isn’t that what’s important in the long run? Cuteness? Okay, maybe not, but I’m happy with it. Got comments, critiques, praise, complaints? Let me know. I’d love to get some feedback on this design. Does it work for you? Too much? Tell me!

My eyes and fingers need a rest. I’m taking the rest of the night off. Have a good weekend all!

10 responses to “New Snailbird Design!”

1. Shannon says:

Quite nifty! Is this vector art?

2. Nikki says:

Nope, just drew it in Photoshop. Kind of looks like though. I need to teach myself illustrator.

3. Kristen says:

Fantastic job! It looks awesome!

4. Meg says:

This looks go GOOD!

5. Cristina says:

Wow, your designs blow me away every time! Excellent job!

6. Leigh says:

I like it. The font doesn’t do much for me, but that’s more personal taste than anything. It’s also a little busy without really good, solid unifying elements — maybe if you extended the vines in the header and footer a little, they would look more like they were tying the whole piece together instead of randomly spattered around.

But that’s a really, really nitpicky critique for a great piece, and you can ignore it, since you did a fantastic job. 🙂

7. Nikki says:

Leigh: Which font didn’t you like? The main text is Georgia – should I change it? What do you recommend? And I’ve thought about extending the vines… we’ll see where it goes. This is just the start!

8. Leigh says:

The title font, actually. It just seems kind-of blocky and awkward with the smoother, more natural lines of the rest of the artwork. I’m not sure how to improve it — maybe more of a scribbley, viney feel, so that it feels like a part of the garden scene?

• Nikki says:

Okay, I’ll try that. It’s actually not a font, I just drew it freehand. I think that’s easy to fix – I’ll get to it this week. Thanks!

9. Leigh says:

Heh, no rush. I’m just a pickypants, and you can ignore me. 😛